Search This Blog

Sunday, January 02, 2011

New Year Party Appetizers


I had fun making these and they were a hit, too.

Penguins in Hawaii

The original recipe is here.  I made my own spread (recipe below).  Also, I made cream cheese snowballs and placed them around the igloo opening, then continued all around the igloo (to outline the igloo).  I didn't have any carrots so I used Cheddar cheese.  However, I would use carrots next time -- for better stability.  Finally, I decided to add tropical umbrellas.  S. took one look and quipped that these penguins are surely confused -- they got tired of the cold and decided to vacation in Hawaii.  Our young nieces loved penguins with umbrellas!  I think little hats would have been better but I was running out of time.

Imitation Crab Meat and Cream Cheese Spread

Ingredients:
1 small container of flavored cream cheese (I used smoked salmon)
1 small pkg of imitation crab meat
5-6 celery sticks
1 small onion
1 tbsp barbecue sauce

Finely chop crab meat, celery, and onions.  Mix all ingredients.  Serve with buttery crackers (I used snowflake Ritz crackers).

No-Bake Cheesecake

Ingredients:
4 8-oz cream cheese
4 cups white chocolate chips
16 oz heavy cream (cold)
1/2 cup favorite preserves (I had quince)

Beat cream cheese until creamy.  Slowly melt chocolate chips in a microwave (in 15-sec intervals, for approximately 1 minute).  Add melted chocolate and preserves to cream cheese.

Whip cold cream until stiff (be sure to use clean bowl and beaters).  Fold into cream cheese mix.  Decorate with raspberries and mint leaves.  Refrigerate at least overnight.

Cracked Pepper Turkey and Asparagus Roll Ups
Roll 2 fresh asparagus spears into thinly sliced provolone cheese and cracked pepper turkey.  Layer into buttered casserole dish.  Place small dabs of butter on top.  Heat at 350 F for 15-20 minutes.  If the top layer starts to brown too fast, cover with foil.

No comments:

avandia class action