Search This Blog

Friday, January 18, 2008

Chugging along...

Aaaah, another week of classes... another week of problems... and, of course, successes! :)
Looks like my online course students are finally settling down, having figured what to click and what not to click, how to submit things, and, ahem, how to find deadlines on the course calendar. Yeah, I thought it was simple -- just refer to the last page of your syllabus; apparently, not...

Several students are now begging to get back, having missed the first week of classes. While some schools have mandatory first-day attendance, we submit rolls after the first week of classes; students who are not attending all of their classes are dropped. Well, I have several students who didn't realize that, wow, classes already started, until just a couple of days ago.
Some students who did login on time but missed assignments are now trying to "outsmart" me. Here is an excerpt from one email:
Student: Ms. Alice, why do I have a zero for Assignment X? I did submit it but you didn't grade it!!! (yep, exclamation marks are there)
Um, assignment was due on Saturday, by midnight. You didn't submit it until Monday night and my syllabus clearly states -- no make-up w/out a documented excuse. Sorry, you missed the train.
I do have several bright and motivated students who are already about two weeks ahead. Keep it up!

1 comment:

Seeking Solace said...

Ah, don't you just love the beginning of the semester maddness???

Hope you have a great semester.

avandia class action