Search This Blog

Friday, November 25, 2011

Crockpot Apples

In many cases, simple recipes are more delicious than those with a long list of ingredients and instructions.  Even though we always have quite a few desserts for holiday meals, this one is always my favorite.  While whole baked apples look nicer, they do take space, especially if baked in the oven.  This simple dish takes just a few minutes to throw together and smells so good while cooking, while other dishes are served...  If there are any leftovers (not likely), these apples are awesome with oatmeal.

Everybody was stuffed today and so I just kept my apples on Warm for a couple of hours until everybody was ready for dessert.  Fancy desserts were forgotten as people lined up for this simple treat.  I decorated each serving with fresh mint leaves and planned to take pictures.  Yeah, sure...  I was barely able to save a serving for myself! :)  S. gobbled up his and was trying to sweet-talk me into sharing.  I don't love him that much! ;)

Ingredients (8 small servings -- tripled today):
  • 4 large apples, cored and sliced (not too thinly, maybe 1/4 inch)
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 stick light butter (Land O'Lakes is my favorite because it still tastes like real butter), sliced
  • Cinnamon, to taste
  • Optional:  cranberries, raisins, nuts, etc.
Core and slice apples, toss with brown sugar.   Add to the crockpot.  Arrange butter slices on top.  Sprinkle with cinnamon.  Cook on medium for 2-3 hours (or on low for 4-5 hours) or until done.  Serve a la mode.


1 comment:

Pretty. Good. Food. said...

Ok, this is too easy NOT to try:) Sounds great!

avandia class action