For the Love of Cooking: Crusty French Bread: "If you read my blog you know that making homemade bread is very intimidating to me. I saw this recipe for crusty French bread on a blog call..."
- 2 cups of warm water (1 cup)
- 2 tbsp olive oil (1 tbsp)
- 3 tsp salt (2 tsp)
- 2 tbsp sugar (1 tbsp)
- 6 cups of all-purpose flour (3 cups bread flour)
- 1 envelope active dry yeast (2 tsp)
- 1 egg white
- 1 tbsp water
- Place first six ingredients (through yeast) in the bread machine in the order listed. Select the dough cycle and press start.
- At the end of the cycle, punch the dough down (deflate it), then cover and let it rise a second time, until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
- Place the dough on a floured surface and knead for 1 minute.
- Use a sharp knife and cut the dough into two equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into a rectangle.
- Roll up jelly roll fashion and pinch the seam together.
- Tuck the ends underneath.
- Sprinkle the baking sheet with cornmeal.
- Place the bread on the prepared baking sheet; cover and let rise until it doubles in size, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Carefully make several evenly placed diagonal cuts (with a sharp knife) on top of each loaf.
- Beat together the egg white and 1 tablespoon of water, then brush over each loaf with a pastry brush.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 23-25 minutes, or until the loaves are golden brown and sound hollow when tapped.
- Remove from baking sheet and cool on wire racks. Enjoy!