Search This Blog

Saturday, January 08, 2011

Icebox Butterhons Pigs in Blankets

S. loves pigs in blankets and so I decided to give this recipe a try.  Store-bought croissant dough is still more convenient, of course, but homemade butterhorns taste so much better and cost significantly less.  They are very easy to make, even for people who have never made bread before.

The original recipe is here.  I cut it in half and still ended up with 24 small butterhorns.  It's plenty unless you're baking for a party.  Also, I ran out of milk and used plain Greek-style yougurt.  My rolls were light and fluffy but did have a slight taste of yogurt.  Milk adds sweetness and so I will make sure to use milk next time.

Ingredients:

2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast (I used 3 tsp)
1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°) I used 1/8 cup

2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°) I used 1 cup warm yougurt but will use milk next time

1/2 cup sugar (1/4 cup sugar)

1 egg, beaten (same)

1 teaspoon salt (same)

6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour (2 cups bread flour and 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour)

3/4 cup butter, melted (1/2 stick butter)

Add all ingredients to your breadmaker (liquids first, yeast last).  Set on Dough cycle.  The original recipe provides directions for manual mixing -- too much trouble for me, I just use breadmaker.

When dough is ready, spray large bowl with non-stick spray.  Form dough into a large ball (it will be sticky but it's OK).  Cover and refrigerate overnight.  Yes, refrigerate.  I had my doubts, honestly, but it really works. 

Punch down the dough and form into a large ball again.  Place dough onto a floured surface and divide it into two balls.  Roll out each ball into a large circle.  Cut into wedges (I had 12 per ball).

Roll up wedges.  I added turkey sausage links because I was making pigs in blankets.  You can stuff butternorns with other goodies -- roasted chicken, ham, cheese, jam, etc.  Spray cookie sheet with non-stick spray.  Arrange rolls so they are not touching (as you can see from my picture, my rolls were touching and so edges are not as pretty as original recipe).  Let rise in a warm place for one hour, until doubled.

Bake at 350 F for 15-20 mins or until golden brown.  Brush with melted butter.

No comments:

avandia class action