Search This Blog

Monday, January 08, 2007

Drop/Add Period

Like most schools (I think -- please tell me if I am wrong), our school allows students to add/drop courses for a week. In my opinion, it's such a waste of time. Many of our students wait until the first day of classes to register or change their schedules, thus missing at least one class meeting. Since semester is 16 weeks long, missing one class meeting is really missing over 6% of the entire semester (if course meets once per week). I can't afford wasting so much time and so present new material on the first day. Of course, it's a huge headache when students finally show up and want to know what they missed.

Does your school have drop/add period? How are you dealing with it?

2 comments:

Seeking Solace said...

I don't lecture the first day becuase of drop-add. It is such a pain becuase you have students who come in late to the course and you are stuck getting them caught up. It totally blows!

Alice said...

Aaah, so I am not alone...

avandia class action