Search This Blog

Monday, July 26, 2010

Losing Weight Project: Day 1/Chicken-Shrimp Pad Thai

We already have a three-year old cat, Boots, but decided to adopt a puppy as well.  Our friends were fostering an adorable girl, Beauty.  So now we have Boots and Beauty. :)

While we were picking up the puppy, we started talking about exercising and eating right.  I mentioned that I am trying to lose weight and our friend offered me a huge bag of Medifast Meals.  She lost about 20 lbs recently and feels great so I am going to give it a try.

It's the 5 & 1 plan:
  • Eat 5 Medifast Meals and 1 Lean & Green Meal (5-7 oz of lean protein and three servings of non-starchy vegetables with some healthy fat, such as salad dressing, olive oil, and condiments/seasonings, such as herbs, spices) per day.
  • Eat every two to three hours to boost metabolism.
  • Eat slowly -- spend at least 15 minutes for each meal.
  • Drink lots of fluids -- at least 8 cups of water.
  • Exercise
I like it because it limits carbohydrates instead of eliminating them.  I don't think it's healthy to eliminate a food group.  Also, it's always a good idea to eat slowly, drink lots of water, and exercise.  Sounds like a well-balanced plan so we'll see... :)  One of the tips is to keep a journal so I will try to blog every day.

Here is my meal plan for today:
  • Scrambled eggs for breakfast, with salt/black pepper (surprisingly tasty)
  • Chocolate mint crunch bar for mid-morning snack (delicious)
  • Chicken breast, romaine lettuce, tomato, and cucumber salad, with olive oil, for lunch
  • Dutch Chocolate shake for afternoon snack
  • Chicken & Wild Rice soup for dinner
  • Hot cocoa for evening snack
I already drank a couple of glasses of water (I always do so not a big deal) and walked Beauty for 20 minutes, so I am on target so far!

I will make Chicken and Shrimp Pad Thai for S. -- he loves it.

Ingredients:

1 cup grilled chicken
1 small package of shrimp
1 box of Taste of Thai Pad Thai (I know I am cheating but it tastes almost like the real thing -- and I have been to Thailand so know how it's supposed to taste)
2 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
1 tbsp peanuts or cashews, finely chopped

No comments:

avandia class action