Search This Blog

Thursday, June 22, 2006

It's summer, right?

Then why do I work until 6:00 a.m.? Because I had to average midterm grades and we were given a one-day warning only. Usually, we can submit Fs and Ds two days before the midterm. For some unknown reason, the deadline is one day early. Thinking that I had one more day, I decided to wait for one more set of grades so students would get a more accurate average. Alas, grades were due by 12:00 today and we were told about this deadline yesterday morning.

Talking about midterm grades, we have something called Midterm Alert; that's why we have to post Fs and Ds. Students receive a letter warning them about their low averages and explaining the options. And, yeah, they are given the letter grade; apparently, numeric average is not enough:

Student (via email): Will you tell me my actual letter grade in Course Name? I know it's 49. Am I passing the course?

Anyway, do you have a similar system of alerting students?

1 comment:

Seeking Solace said...

Since my college is small, we are required to have a conference with any student who is in the D/F range at midterm. The student has to sign the conference form and copies are sent to the Dean and the student's advisor.

I still get those questions like the one you posted.

avandia class action