Search This Blog

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Random quotes...

As featured on profgrrrl's blog...

1. Grab the nearest book.
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the text of the next 4 sentences on your blog along with these instructions.
5. Don’t you dare dig for that "cool" or "intellectual" book in your closet! I know you were thinking about it! Just pick up whatever is closest.
6. Just do it, already!

OK, the first book is actually a textbook -- Business Mathematics by Brechner (I am grading homework). There is nothing interesting on page 123 -- just a list of formulas.

There is also a stack of journals and printouts I am perusing for a lit review -- none of them have 123 pages. Nothing else that qualifies as a book on my desk...

Let's try somewhere else... The first thing on my bookshelf is -- oh, I can't believe it! Charlotte Bronte's Villette!!! Oh, well, let's flip to page 123... find the fifth sentence... and here it is... Enjoy!

"However," I said to myself, "it is no affair of yours;" and turning from the face on which I had been unconsciously dwelling with a questioning gaze, I looked through the window which commanded the garden below. Dr. John, meantime, standing by the bed-side, was slowly drawing on his gloves and watching his little patient, as her eyes closed and her rosy lips parted in coming sleep. I waited till he should depart as usual, with a quick bow and scarce articulate "good night." Just as he took his hat, my eyes, fixed on the tall houses bounding the garden, saw the one lattice, already commemorated, cautiously open; forth from the aperture projected a hand and a white handkerchief; both waved.

No comments:

avandia class action