I wanted to try this recipe for several months now. Finally, remembered to buy roasted peppers and smoked paprika (missing ingredients) on Friday and decided to make it for this afternoon's party. I just roasted a trial batch of shrimp to try with dip. Now have to chase S. away from the bowl!!! I doubled the recipe to make sure we have enough for the company. I did not add bread yet -- will add just before serving so it won't become soggy. Or maybe I should just serve toasted bread slices?
Tomato Basil Bread
I made this bread to use with dip. It's a great recipe and I will definitely use it again.
Montreal Spice Steak Skewers
Nothing unusual about steak... I usually marinade it overnight in balsamic vinegar-olive oil-Montreal Steak spice mix and then let S. do his magic on the grill. :) He helped me skewer meat, mushrooms, and green pepper and onion chunks this morning.
baking potatoes (Yukon Gold works best)
extra-virgin olive oil
Peel potatoes and cut into wedges (2" x 3"). Soak in cold salted water for one hour. Preheat oven to 400 F. Drain potatoes and pat with paper towels. Coat potatoes with olive oil, then spices. Spread on a greased baking sheet. Bake for 15 mins and turn; bake for 15 more mins or until light brown and crispy.
Tomato, Cucumber, and Lettuce Salad
Slice veggies. Add crumbled feta cheese, chopped marinated olives, and olive oil.
Fresh Wafer Bowls with Ice Cream
Mom gave me a wafer cone maker for b-day. Of course, I had to try it out! However, cones rolled using the tool provided are huge. I decided to make little bowls instead by placing each soft wafer into a dip bowl and letting it cool. Perfect solution!
Planning is, of course, very important for any party.
- I made dip earlier today and bread (made yesterday) is sliced and ready for toasting.
- Steak and shrimp were marinating overnight.
- We assembled steak skewers this morning.
- Salad is ready, too.
- Wafer bowls were made this morning.
- Potatoes are soaking now to be dried and baked as guests begin to arrive.
- Plates, glasses, utensils, and napkins are ready.
- Drinks are chilled.
- Veggies, cheese, and fruit are on the platter, ready to be served.
- S. will grill shrimp as guests begin to arrive.
- As guests are enjoying shrimp and dip, S. will start grilling skewers and I will place potatoes into the oven. This way, we can keep an eye on the grill/oven and still mingle with guests.
- We will finish with wafer bowls and ice-cream.