Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Losing Weight Project: Day 16/Salmon, Mushrooms, and Asparagus Salad with Butter-Laughing Cow Cheese Sauce

Breakfast      
Medifast French Vanilla 55 Shake 90.0 cal 1 Each

I did not go to bed until 12:45 am last night (well, this morning) -- there was so much to do...  And then woke up at 6:45 am...  I am so not a morning person...  Got ready for work, blended my breakfast shake, and drove to pick up Boots from the vet.  Apparently, he had a very deep cut on his pad that became infected and, because of debris, did not heal properly.  The doctor had to open the cut and clean under anesthesia so poor Boots had to spend the night there.  He was so happy to see me this morning!  The vet prescribed a 10-day dose of antibiotic, to be squirted into his mouth once a day.  Hmmm... this will be interesting... wish S. was here -- he knows how to do this kind of stuff.  We will have to survive until the weekend.

So brought Boots home, made sure he was comfortable (fresh food/water, litter box filled with paper pellets so his wound won't get dirty again).  I decided to leave him in a bathroom because I was not sure if he would freak out and hide somewhere.  Then rushed to work.

Mid-Morning
Medifast Oatmeal Raisin Crunch Bar 110.0 cal 1 Each

We had a workshop until a few minutes after noon so I ate my snack bar during the break while everybody else was snacking on fresh fruit and M&M's.  A rather strange choice of snacks, in my opinion.  I am so determined to lose weight that I wasn't even tempted.  Now, if they had peanut M&M's...  just kidding! :)

Lunch          
Medifast Chicken Noodle Soup 100.0 cal 1 Each

Drove home to check on Boots.  Since he appeared to be calm, I opened the bathroom door and he didn't run anywhere, a sigh of relief...  Rushed back to work where several students were already waiting.  Helped them and then finally had time to cook and eat my soup.  Of course, was interrupted several times but oh well...  the other faculty member was out today so I was "holding the fort."  One of our secretaries commented on how yummy my soup was smelling while cooking in the microwave.  Yep, not bad at all, especially since it's filling and only has 100 calories.  The key is to keep it covered for at least five minutes after cooking, to let the noodles and chicken soften sufficiently.

Afternoon    
Medifast Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal 100.0 cal 1 Each

Every time I tried to cook my afternoon snack, I was interrupted... :(  Then it was after 6:00 pm and time to go home.  I didn't feel like cooking and eating oatmeal in the empty office so I went home.

Dinner
Salmon 257.8 cal 5 oz
Cooked Asparagus, fresh 20.0 cal 0.5 cup
Cooked Mushrooms, White, fresh 34.0 cal 0.5 cup
Raw Lettuce, Romaine 8.0 cal 1 cup
Butter, Unsalted 34.0 cal 1 tsp
Laughing Cow Creamy Swiss Light 35 cal 1 wedge
Pepper, Black, Ground 0.3 cal 1 dash
Oregano (McCormick/Schilling) 2.4 cal 0.25 tsp
Coriander Seeds 1.3 cal 0.25 tsp
Parsley 1.4 cal 1 tbsp

Salmon, Mushrooms, and Asparagus Salad with Butter-Laughing Cow Cheese Sauce

I had one salmon fillet so I divided it into three portions and baked last night with oregano, black pepper, and coriander seeds.  Today, I reheated one portion and cut fish into bite-size chunks.  Steamed asparagus, cut into bite-size lengths as well.  Sprayed the skillet with butter-flavor non-stick spray and cooked mushrooms until golden brown.  Chopped lettuce.  Mixed fish, asparagus, mushrooms, and lettuce.  Finally, melted butter and cheese on very low and poured sauce on my salad.  Sprinkled with parsley.

Evening
Medifast Vanilla Pudding 100.0 cal 1 Each

Snacking on pudding as I am writing...  Since I missed my afternoon snacks but have to eat all five Medifast meals, I will test the cookie recipe tonight.  I don't like eating so late so will try not to skip meals again.

Vanilla Cookies
1 packet of MF vanilla shake (or shake of your choice)
1 packet of splenda
1 tsp of baking powder (more than most, but really helps "puff" them up)
1-2 tsp vanilla extract
1-2 ounces of water
Mix dry ingredients with a wisk, then add the water slowly. Don't pour in all the water at once, add it slowly at first and then add more as needed. You want to get a "dough" that is the consistency of paste.
Spoon the cookies by tablespoonful onto parchment paper covered baking sheet (or spray baking sheet with cooking spray).  Bake the cookies at 350 degrees for 8 minutes.

Well, heading to my kitchen to test this recipe...  Will post an update later.

Update:  As with other Medifast concoctions, these cookies won't win any awards but they were pretty good.  I enjoyed my snack. :)

No comments:

avandia class action