Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Losing Weight Project: Day 24/Meatloaf Pizza Pie on Lettuce

I am so happy to learn that my health coach actually takes her time to read this blog.  Wow, that means a lot!  Thank you so much! :)

Maybe somebody else can benefit from this project but it's mostly for me, to keep me honest and focused on the goal of reaching and maintaining healthy weight.  I am discovering that the key to maintenance is awareness of what we consume every day and responding appropriately if we do treat ourselves.  I am not advocating obsession, of course.  It would not be a good idea to enjoy a slice of yummy cake during the weight-loss stage.  However, lifetime maintenance is all about balance -- there is nothing wrong with enjoying sweets but in moderation.  That has been my personal downfall before and I sincerely hope to avoid it this time.

My health coach offered one useful tip -- ask for lettuce leaves instead of bread buns when ordering any sandwich.  Of course, it won't make much difference if I order a quarter-pounder with cheese, wrapped in a lettuce leaf, please! ;)  Ah, moderation...

OK, I have some ground turkey so found this recipe in one of my Italian cookbooks for tonight's dinner.

Meatloaf Pizza Pie on Lettuce
The original recipe calls for mixing the meatloaf as usual, baking it, topping with sauce, veggies, cheese, and crunchy fried onions, and broiling until done.  I will brown ground turkey and drain fat, then spread meat in a small casserole dish and top with pizza sauce, veggies (tomatoes and green peppers), and fat-free Cheddar cheese.  It will take only a few minutes of broiling to cook veggies and melt the cheese.  I will slice my "pizza pie" and serve on lettuce leaves.  Should be yummy and reasonably healthy.

Update:  Loved this recipe!  It's a keeper.

Breakfast
Original Pancakes 90.0 cal 1 meal
Baking Powder (Calumet) 0.0 cal 0.25 tsp
TIP:  Add 1/4 tsp of baking powder to the mix -- makes a huge difference!

Mid-Morning
Medifast Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal 100.0 cal 1 Each

Lunch
Medifast Chicken Noodle Soup 100.0 cal 1 Each

Afternoon
Medifast Cinnamon Roll Crunch Bar 110.0 cal 1 Each
Coffee, Brewed, Prepared ,Prep W/Tap Water 2.4 cal 1 cup (8 fl oz)

Dinner
Ground Turkey 333.0 cal 5 oz
Cooked Peppers, Green, fresh 19.0 cal 0.5 cup
Cooked Tomatoes, fresh 22.0 cal 0.5 cup
Raw Lettuce, Romaine 8.0 cal 1 cup
Cheddar Cheese, Shredded, Nonfat (Kraft) ,Natural 40.0 cal 0.25 cup
Pizza Sauce, Original (Contadina) 7.5 cal 1 tbsp
Salt, Table 0.0 cal 1 tsp

Evening
Medifast Banana Creme 55 Shake 90.0 cal 1 Each

No comments:

avandia class action